1. I bow down to Shiva, Who is Na., the first letter of His mystic world-symbol (Mantra), Who has the King of snakes for a garland, the Three eyed One, with ashes for His cosmetics, the Great God, the Eternal, the Perfect One, who has the quarters of the world for His garments.
2. I bow down to Shiva, Who is Ma, the second letter of his mystic world-symbol (Mantra), who is anointed with the water of the river Mandakini (Ganga) and sandal paste, the Lord of Nandi and of the goblins, the Great God, who is adorned with Mandara and various other kinds of flowers.
3. I bow down to Shiva, who is Shi, the third letter of His mystic word-symbol (Mantra), who is the rising sun causing to blossom the lotus face of Gauri (the Divine Mother), the destroyer of Daksha's sacrifice, the Blue-necked One, who has the bull for His ensign.
4. I bow down to Shiva, who is Va, the fourth letter of His mystic word-symbol (Mantra), who is worshipped as the most distinguished of gods by the great Rishis of the Aryas like Vasishtha, Agastya, and Gautama as also by the gods, and who has the moon, sun and the fire for His three eyes.
5. I bow down to Shiva, Who is Ya, the fifth letter of his mystic word-symbol (Mantra), Who is the embodiment of sacrifice, whose locks are matted, who wields the Pinaka bow, the Eternal, the Divine, the Shining One, having the quarters of the world for His garments.
6. He who reads this sacred Hymn of five letters before Shiva, attains the sphere of Shiva and enjoys eternal bliss with Him.